By India Today Sports Desk: World No. 31 Nick Kyrgios announced on Monday that he would not be able to participate in Halle Open, an ATP 500 tournament on grass, due to concerns over his knee injury. The Australian, who reached the final of Wimbledon last year, confirmed his withdrawal on the opening day of the tournament in Halle.
Nick Kyrgios, who is considered one of the favourites to go the distance at Wimbledon this year, has been bogged down by a knee injury over the last few months. The 28-year-old underwent surgery on his left knee earlier this year and was on the sidelines for close to 5 months.
Nick Kyrgios lost on his return to action, falling in straight sets to China's Wu Yibing in the first round of the Stuttgart Open last week. Kyrgios had trouble with his movement during that match and the problem has now forced Kyrgios to pull out of the ATP 500 event in Halle, where he reached the semi-finals in 2022.
"Very unfortunate news. I won't be able to compete at Halle this year," Kyrgios said in a video.
WIMBLEDON IN SIGHT
Kyrgios said he wants to give himself the best possible chance to be fully fit for Wimbledon. Notably, Kyrgios reached the final of Wimbledon last year, losing to Novak Djokovic in the final.
"I'm still dealing with a couple of things with my knee. Just trying to give myself the best opportunity to compete at Wimbledon. As you all know, that tournament means a lot to me and I just want to do everything right by my body. I didn't want to go out there and not give you the same performance I gave last year. So hopefully next year I'll be healthy enough to play (at Halle). See you soon."
The world number 31 will be replaced in the Halle draw by lucky loser Aslan Karatsev, organisers added.
He missed the French Open due to a foot injury he sustained during the theft of his car last month.